Check received for rent

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nate240

I own a house and a roommate of mine has been paying me rent for the last year. However, I did not take a security deposit and there is no written lease. He moved recently moved out and wrote me a check for the month that he lived in my house.

I knew he was short of funds and when I talked to a teller at the bank I was told that he is negative in his bank account. So if I deposit the check I won't get my money.

Since this is basically a 'verbal contract' do I still have a right to my money by having a check that was written out by him or am I out of luck because I didn't have a tenant sign a lease? I live in MN. Thanks for any help.

You have proof that an agreement was made and you could enforce the agreement, likely in small claims court. But you still have an issue of execution -- a court gives you a judgment, not the money. You should probably try to talk to the ex roomate because his conduct could be considered writing a bad check and in violation of state law. His troubles could be just beginning. He should have plenty of incentive to just pay up and avoid having a much, much larger problem on his hands later...

Originally posted by Nate240
I own a house and a roommate of mine has been paying me rent for the last year. However, I did not take a security deposit and there is no written lease. He moved recently moved out and wrote me a check for the month that he lived in my house.

I knew he was short of funds and when I talked to a teller at the bank I was told that he is negative in his bank account. So if I deposit the check I won't get my money.

Since this is basically a 'verbal contract' do I still have a right to my money by having a check that was written out by him or am I out of luck because I didn't have a tenant sign a lease? I live in MN. Thanks for any help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back