Fraud, Embezzlement, Bad Checks Check Fraud

Status
Not open for further replies.

braxt1jd

I recently got charged with a felony for insufficient funds on a closed account, how can i avoid jail? i have no record, the checks i wrote were post dated, i paid off the amount that was due to the place that got the check, i have a corporate entry level job, and i already do volunteer on my own for the past year.

Based on what you have said here I can't imagine why you would do any jail time at all. Since you made good on the debts you might even be able to get the charge dropped to a misdemeanor.

You didn't get an insufficient funds charge on a "closed account." The way the law looks at it you INTENTIONALLY committed theft by writing a check on a closed account. I would suggest you never do that again if you don't want to go to jail. I would question whether the accounts were open when you post dated the checks. In any case I agree with Moose. I doubt prosecution will be had if you paid them off. You should be fine, they will likely be dropped.

The problem is you closed the acount with a check outstanding. What you needed to do was to pay the place that had the check, then either get the check back, or put a stop payment on it before closing the acount.

If you don't have any further outstanding checks you should be OK given the fact that you did end up paying what was due.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back