Check Fraud?

Status
Not open for further replies.

momneedshelp

Hi,
My Mom recently had a co-worker whom was fired from their job come to her and ask for help. The co-worker and husband missed a car payment for around $350 and was being charged another $300 in late fees(showed her a collection letter)...They asked my Mom for help because if they lost their car then the couple couldn't find new jobs(husband lost job recently too)...2 kids to support etc.

So my Mom agreed to help by lending them the money needed to bring car current. Then they came back to her and asked for more $$ to pay electric bill. They suggested that my Mom give them money to cover November and December. This was too much for her. She told them she has her own bills to pay (Mom is late 60's and widowed). She had in writing that at tax time the couple would pay her back interest free the full amount with their refund.

Mom does not usually do things like this but she liked the woman and is a kind soul....My wife and I had a very bad feeling about this from the get go before they started asking for more...

Turns out today they called her and told her that "Toyota" is doing an electronic deduct for the amount and that the husband went ahead and cashed the check she wrote him at a currency exchange.

Seeing problems, she went to the bank and put a stop payment on it. She thinks that the check was being cashed by two parties - but I think the couple took the routing and account number info off the check and gave it to Toyota and then went to cash the check.

The bank charged my mom $25 for the stop payment. My wife and I urged her to change account info because they could attempt to transfer $ out in the future. In Illinois, is she now liable to pay the currency exchange? When their customer was attempting fraud in my Mom's eyes -she was done with these people.

A currency exchange is a chain in Chicagoland that cashes payroll checks, renews vehicle reg., title changes, payroll advance. Their website states that they usually cash personal checks too with no waiting unlike a bank. But this outfit charges a % of total cash as a service charge...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back