charging deposit for satellite dish, is this legal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

erin128

Hello,

I live in Tennessee, in an apartment complex. One story apartments. The landlord says we have to pay a 100 dollar deposit, and have renters insurance for 100,000 for the satellite dish. The dish itself is in my "common" area, i.e., patio. If I am not mistaken, according to the FCC rules, they cannot make me pay a deposit. Is this legal, and do I have a leg to stand on to fight it? Thanks for any advice.

I would also like to find the answer to this question. From everything I've read concerning the FCC OTARD (fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html), it seems that it violates the rules and it is illegal to charge a deposit to install a satellite.

My apartment management wants to charge a $200 deposit plus they require $50,000 coverage in renters insurance. This restriction appears to be prohibited by the FCC, as an impairment to installing the satellite and an unreasonable increase in cost. Is my interpretation of the FCC rules correct? Or is it legal for the apartment management to enforce these restrictions?

This is assuming that the satellite will be installed on a balcony, which is an exclusive use area.

Thanks in advance for any help/advice!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back