Charges filed on me by step mom and i have the kids in my custody

Sylvia1313

Jurisdiction
Utah
I am in tootal shock to find out that my kids step mom has been receiving child support from me, and the kids have been in my custody. Her and my kids dad had the kids in their custody for close to 10 years because i had some legal issues and was in jail and prison off and on. We had never gone to courts to establish custody. At the beginning of the year they decided they were getting a divorce and in July they came to live with me now that i have been stable and gotten my life back together. In September i recieved a notice stating my wages were being garnished for child support, so i assumed i still owed back child support to their dad and didn't really read the whole letter, just the amount they'd be taking. I was ok with that. I told their dad he should be recieving child support and he was confused because he said i didn't owe him anymore. Well it turns out my case with their dad had been closed and paid. So i went back and looked at the letter and it says that his ex wife was the person recieving it. She actually had the nerve to file on me while they were in my custody. I have called ors to have them cancel the garnishment immediately. I can never get a hold of the case worker and have left voicemails and am still getting garnished. She has been fired from several jobs for stealing money, and knows how to scam places like churches and stuff to pay her bills. I'm pretty sure she is recieving well fare and in utah when u recieve welfare you have to file child support on the parent. What can i do to stop this garnishment and get my money back? Can i press charges on her?

YOU can not file charges, but you can report possible fraud to law enforcement and they will investigate and pursue appropriate action.
As for stopping the garnishment, it may take awhile as there is always a process. Rather than calling you might consider going to the appropriate office and putting yourself in front of a human being to get assistance.

YOU can not file charges, but you can report possible fraud to law enforcement and they will investigate and pursue appropriate action.
As for stopping the garnishment, it may take awhile as there is always a process. Rather than calling you might consider going to the appropriate office and putting yourself in front of a human being to get assistance.
Thank you, its just been hard with my work hours, but i will deffinately go in today and let them know. Do i have to go to the ors in the city she filed on me. Or can it be any ors?

Soory one more question. If i report possible fraud to law enforcement, do i have to call the city she lives in?

You can start by contacting your local PD or sheriff.

Once you've explained your problem, the officer, detective, or deputy will direct you further.

Back