Charged after 1 year?

Art91

Jurisdiction
Washington
I was charged Dui(alcohol) last year when I hit a tree.
My license was suspended for 6 months.
I did not pay any fines.
I was taking g to a hospital for my injury.
This year I was pulled over for speeding and also got court summons to resolve my Dui conviction after 1 year??
My question is why was I not sent anything during all this time to resolve this.
Also I was given a public defender but after multiple calls and visit to his office he was never there and never returned my calls?
What do I do now I have court on Wednesday with no public defender to help me, first Dui case with me, is this just for fining me for the Dui, since I already did my 6months license suspension? Jail time?
Please help enlighten me.

Last edited:
This year I was pulled over for speeding and also got court summons to resolve my Dui conviction after 1 year??

The above "sentence" doesn't appear to be an interrogative, although it ends in a question mark.

My question is why was I not sent anything during all this time to resolve this.

There is no way an anonymous stranger unfamiliar with your case could answer the above interrogative masquerading as a declarative.

I suggest you ask your attorney or the court clerk.

Also I was given a public defender but after multiple calls and visit to his office he was never there and never returned my calls?

This is curious, now you write a declarative but conceal its true interrogative identity.

Either way, only the attorney knows why she/he did or didn't do a thing.

What do I do now I have court on Wednesday with no public defender to help me, first Dui case with me, is this just for fining me for the Dui, since I already did my 6months license suspension? Jail time?

You should appear at the time and place directed, plead NOT guilty, and ask the court if you qualify for a public defender.

Going forward speak only to your lawyer about your case, and make sure you fully understand what you are required to do.

Only your lawyer will know, as strangers have no specific knowledge about your case.

At what point did you appear in court to be assigned a public defender?

No matter, your court date is here and it is too late to do much of anything. Appear in court and keep your yapper shut except to tell the judge you have not yet been able to consult with legal counsel and you are not ready to proceed.

The delay you describe is not uncommon and there could be many reasons for it. Regardless of the time for you to find out about it, so long as the DUI charge was filed by the District Attorney within the required time limit (likely one year) you won't be able to argue a statue of limitations... which seems to be what you were suggesting.

...my Dui conviction...

If you were convicted then it was resolved.

You need to learn how to explain things better. Were you really convicted?

The suspension probably has nothing to do with the criminal case against you - it was probably a DMV administrative suspension.

i was asked by the clerk to get
*driving record history
*criminal history
*court order
*incident report
*breath analyzer results

This is for an alcohol assessment
This is my first time getting it and i am not sure how to obtain a criminal history.
Do i go to FBI records, or Every State i ever been to?
Where do i go to get criminal history records for the alcohol assessment.
I have the appointment for next week and not sure how long does it take for the document to be send to me.
Is there a way to get this document online?

What did the clerk say when you asked for clarification/information?

This is my first time getting it and i am not sure how to obtain a criminal history.
Do i go to FBI records, or Every State i ever been to?
Where do i go to get criminal history records for the alcohol assessment.

Someone on these websites MIGHT have the information you seek:

Alcohol & Other Drugs Treatment | Snohomish County, WA - Official Website

Washington State Courts - Court Rules

THE DUISEATTLE.COM BLOG

Alcohol Evaluation - Washington DUI | Defense Attorney | Washington DUI

DUI Evaluations & Assessments in Seattle, Bellevue, Kent | Drug & Alcohol Services

Back