Personal Bankruptcy Chapter 7 BK and Reaffirmation Request From Creditor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pmw730

Can someone explain to me why a creditor is allowed to continue to contact me thru mail after filing BK when it says on the court paperwork that they can't...."Prohibited actions include contacting the debtor by telephone, mail or otherwise to demand repayment, taking actions to collect money or obtain property from the debtor..."

I filed on March 25 and received a letter from a creditor yesterday asking me to sign either a Reaffirmation or a Redemption form for the merchandise, value $2,000 (a copy was mailed to my BK lawyer.) I am in no position to do this and am technically homeless. I lost my house, my vehicle and everything as a result of getting laid off and being unemployed for 7 mos. I am working now but can barely get by.

Can they pursue this even though I am not able to pay even a monthly payment at this time? Will they come after me years later?

Thank you.

Relax, they're only trying to get you to reaffirm the debt.

You must have incurred this debt for furniture or some other purchase that is a secured debt.

If you do not reaffirm (which isn't advisable anyway), after the BK is over, the creditor will come to retrieve their junk.

Give this information to your lawyer.

He/she will advise you accordingly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back