Personal Bankruptcy Chapter 13 Life Insurance Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

rainmyst

We have a situation that I would like to explain and would like to know what the best course of action is.

My brother in law is dying in the hosp from a massive heart attack. To make a long story short, he has two sons, both are now over 18.

He has a long time life insurance policy which we found out that the beneficiary is the deceased father. It was set up that way so that if anything happened to him his father would take care of his two sons.

He has NO WILL!

We found out in a round about way that since my father in law is dead. The money would then go to his heirs of which MY husband is one of two.

I am VERY worried and concerned about this because we are 25 months in a chapter 13 and this money is NOT meant for him, it's meant for my brother in laws two sons.

What should we do? Do we refuse the money allowing my sister in law to claim it or what.

I'm afraid if he takes the money to give to the boys WE would be in trouble since technically my husband would be the heir regardless that it was meant for the boys.

Please help us if you can and tell us what we need to do:eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back