Changing your mind after filing for divorce

Status
Not open for further replies.

tyme4utoo

I have filed a petition for divorce one week ago. My husband and I have been living separately now since last October. However after speaking with my husband's therapist now though she feels like there is hope that through extensive therapy he can change his behavior so I have decided to give him a chance at therapy first. Is it possible now to file for a legal separation in lieu of the divorce? Does it cost the same? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Thank you

You really need to see an attorney. If a legal seperation is filed, if you have children then you might want to seek a temp. order of child support as well.

As far as giving the marriage another try, both you and your husband have got to be committed to making the marriage work. He must want to save it as well.

Not sure what behavior you are speaking about but people rarely make radical changes. They can only change if they want too.

what are you saying????

if you want to give the marriage another shot, then don't show up for court to finalize the divorce. it takes a signature in front of judge to finalize it. If no one shows up for court, the divorce is dismissed and you are still married. as far as legal separation, check the laws for your state. in texas, there is no such thing as a legal separation.

if your asking my opinion, therapy is not always the answer, you need to sit back and think about what has happend to bring you to the point of wanting a devorce in the first place, my mother was married to my father who physically abused her for years and he never changed, he punched her kicked her, try to electracute her, threw her down stairs whilst she was pregnant and in front of buses, this went on for about 6 years and after my mother attempted suiside once, and the six years past, she finally gave in and devorced him on the grounds of Cruelty. She was lucky some people end up dead or disabled? i mean i can't say what has happend in your life, but if it is that kind of abuse, then i would consider wasting good money on therapy, i can also say that some of my mothers children have been seriously mentally scarred as a result of the abuse, i mean he kicked her all over when his children were in her whom! hope i have given you some constructive advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back