Changing days on doctor note

kellovangstar

Jurisdiction
California
Okay, so over the holiday my husband and I got into a car accident. We both were taken to the hospital. Because I was impacted by the seat belt and airbag I stayed the night. I was then release the following day. I ask for a doctor note and the nurse ask me for how many days. I told her 4. Because I was in so much pain I didn't pay attention to the note til I got home. The nurse had ask for only 2 days when I ask for 4. So I wrote 4 on it instead of 2. Now my employer is questioning me if I forge the note. Please help.

If you're looking for us to tell you something that will protect your job, you're out of luck. It doesn't matter how many days you "asked" for - you were entitled to as many as your medical provider thought you needed and not as many as you wanted. When you took it upon yourself to change the number of days, you committed a firing offense. There's nothing we can tell you that is guaranteed to save your job if your employer wants to fire you over this. Good luck getting unemployment in that case.

Your employer doesn't even have to accept a doctor's note with some exceptions such as under FMLA. They definitely can terminate you for changing one. You might want to come clean.

Back