Changing an Error on New Jersey Birth Certificate

Mary V

Jurisdiction
New Jersey
Good morning,

A patron asked how they could legally change a typo/error on their New Jersey birth certificate.

The New Jersey Department of Health Office of Vital Statistics and Registry recommended filling out a REG-15 form. This form is an Application to Amend a New Jersey Vital Record.

Unfortunately, the person's REG-15 form was denied.

They were told that they needed to obtain a copy of their census record or elementary school records as proof of identity.

I am aware of the 72-year rule for census records and it is unclear why this was suggested.

I have spoken to other people who live in New Jersey and this appears to be a common problem that is hard to correct after the grace period to make changes has expired.

Question 1: What should a person do if there is an error on their birth certificate (such as a misspelling of either the first or middle name) and they wish to correct this in New Jersey without having to go to court.

Question 2: How can a person obtain a copy of their submitted census record if requested in New Jersey.

Good morning,

A patron asked how they could legally change a typo/error on their New Jersey birth certificate.

The New Jersey Department of Health Office of Vital Statistics and Registry recommended filling out a REG-15 form. This form is an Application to Amend a New Jersey Vital Record.

They were told that they needed to obtain a copy of their census record or elementary school records as proof of identity.

I am aware of the 72-year rule for census records and it is unclear why this was suggested.

I have spoken to other people who live in New Jersey and this appears to be a common problem that is hard to correct after the grace period to make changes has expired.

Question 1: What should a person do if there is an error on their birth certificate (such as a misspelling of either the first or middle name) and they wish to correct this in New Jersey without having to go to court.

Question 2: How can a person obtain a copy of their submitted census record if requested in New Jersey.

A "patron" ? A patron of what? Who are you to this "patron"?

By following the instructions on the REG-15.

Note that a court order is required if the person was born before 1/1/1993.

reg-15 (nj.gov)

Here's how:

Age Search Service Tutorial (census.gov)

However, that's a waste of time if the person was born before 1/1/1993. The REG-15 makes it clear that a court order is required for that person.

The NJ court has a self-help packet for name change:

How to Ask the Court to Change Your Name - Adult (njcourts.gov)

If the person can't afford the fee, a fee waiver can be applied for:

How to File for a Fee Waiver - All Courts (njcourts.gov)

Department of Health | Vital Statistics | Correcting a Vital Record
(The simplest solution may be to do a name change petition so that the new "legal name" matches the name that the person is using.)

Question 2
: How can a person obtain a copy of their submitted census record if requested in New Jersey.
If the person submitted the records, then they should know what they submitted and either have, or know where to get, the originals.

What error?

What does "patron" mean in this context, and why would this person pose this question to you?

How old is this individual?

Why?

I don't understand your point. The so-called "72-year rule" doesn't prevent a person from obtaining his/her own census records. It merely prevents others from obtaining such information.

How can a person obtain a copy of their submitted census record if requested in New Jersey.

Follow the links in the one I posted above.

If that is what the individual was told, the individual should do as suggested.

Frankly, what the person was told isn't a very heavy lift, unless the person is perpetrating.

How old is the individual in question?

Does the person possess a social security card or drivers license?

Did the person graduate from a high school?

Has the individual ever been gainfully employed in the USA?

Has the person paid taxes to the IRS and your state taxing agency?

Is the person a registered voter?

Referring her library patron to sources of information is no more engaging in the UPL than what all of us do here every day.

:p
I agree, however, the OP is venturing down a path that, with our help, may go beyond just giving references.

Hi everyone,

Thank you for your concern but the inquiry was general and not specific to one person.

The information provided here was sufficient to help solve the issue.

Multiple people having the same issues have been helped by the information provided in this thread.

Thank you for the information and links provided.

Back