Repairs, Maintenance Changed lock, no key

Status
Not open for further replies.

wurmsworld

kWithout my knowledge or my permission my tenant changed the front door lock, and refuses to give me a key to the new lock. I know this is unethical, but is it illegal?

Texas: Can a tenant change the lock(s) on their apt. or house door(s) & must they give the landlord a key?

Under Texas law, a landlord must change or re-key the locks on exterior doors whenever a new tenant moves into the apartment. The landlord also must repair or replace any defective lock at his own expense. Unless the lease provides otherwise, however, a tenant may not "remove, change, re-key, replace, or alter a security device or have it removed, changed, re-keyed, replaced, or altered without permission of the landlord."

This does not mean, however, that you cannot have the locks changed. Texas law requires that a landlord must re-key or change the locks whenever requested to do so by the tenant. In such cases, however, the tenant must pay the reasonable costs of changing or re-keying the lock.

If you want to change the lock again you may want to give proper notice for an inspection. If a key is not provided to you prior to the inspection then have a locksmith open the door or access the residence by other means. You may be able to deduct any cost from whatever deposit you have collected.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back