Change in Square Footage After Purchase

Status
Not open for further replies.

jhoya

I recently signed a purchase agreement on a condo unit pre-construction. When I reserve the unit, I based the decision on a floor plan that indicated the unit had 1,767 SQF. When I signed the purchase agreement, I was given a floor plan along with the purchase agreement and other documents that indicated the unit had 1,792 SFT. Then a week after I signed the purchase agreement I was sent a letter stating that attached were the revised floor plan to my unit and the square footage per the new floor plan is 1,633. The floor plans have not been submitted for approval by the developer. The contract clearly state that changes in dimensions on the unit will only be made to accomodate any structural and mechanical elements and comply with local building regulations and government status, laws, ordinances, rules and regulations, provided that such modifications and substitutions shall not materially impair the value of the Purchased Unit or materially adversely affect the rights of the Purchaser hereunder.

The changes in the floor plan were made for the convinience of the developer since what was basically done was to allocate the space I lost to the unit next to mine. By doing so, the developer increased the selling price of the unit next to mine by $50,000. Based on the square footage of the floor plan given to me at the time I reserved the unit, the price per SFT was $260 based on the revised floor plan, the price per SFT was increased to $280.
At no point in time I was told by the real estate agent working for the developer that the spare footage would change.

Do I have any recourse against the real estate agent or the developer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back