Chances of being able to move out at 17

Status
Not open for further replies.

gurlychic07

I'm 16 right now but I'll be 17 in April I'm just wondering what my chances are of legally being able to move out, after I turn 17. I'm not asking to be emancipated I just want to move out. I have a place to stay with a responsible adult who is a friend of the family and will take care of me until I turn 18. My parents and I have been arguing for months now because I was seeing someone older than me, but I plan to keep seeing him with or without their permission. I just think it will be easier if I can move out. I have a job so I can support myself, I am an honor roll student at my school, and I am also enrolled in classes at a local college. Would I have to be emancipated to move out without their consent or could I get this adult to adopt me or what? It's getting hard to live at home Please HELP.

In Texas, at the age of 17, as long as you can support your self, you can move out. I'm 16 myself, and like you in April, I turn 17.However, your parents are able to file a missing persons report on you. I don't know what state you live in, so you'll have to do some research on your own. Also, in most states, 16 is the legal age of consent, so whether your parents like it or not, you can see whomever you please, as long as you reside in one of those states. This is NOT under any circumstances legal advice, I'm just telling you what I know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back