Caused wreck with no license - Texas

Fishon!!

My brother-in-law has multiple offenses (drug, theft, etc..), has served prison time and owes somewhere around $5,000-$8,000 in tickets. He caused a wreck yesterday which nearly caused a fatality. We are not sure yet what the outcome will be, but he was released with no tickets.

What steps need to be taken to get his drivers license back? I do not know exactly what offenses caused him to lose his license, probably a DUI. I'm sure that I'm probably not giving enough information either, but I have no idea what this kind of stuff involves.

Thank you so much for any guidance.

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

What steps need to be taken to get his drivers license back?

If he was involved in a serious collision, he won't get his drivers license reissued until the current collision has been adjudicated.

Don't be deceived by the lack of a citation if the collision was serious.

More than likely the investigating agency is consulting with the district attorney about how this will be addressed.

In some cases the DA will seek an indictment of the alleged offender via the grand jury.
If that is what is decided, it might be four to eight weeks before you know more.

The DA will sometimes decide to seek a warrant and then arrest the alleged offender.

If that is what is decided, it could take between two to six weeks before he knows more.

My timeline is also dependent on the county in which the collision occurred, populous counties (Dallas, Tarrant, Harris, etc..) take longer than smaller counties like Coryell, McClennan, Jeff Davis, etc...

If you wish to help your brother, you can assist him by hiring a lawyer.

For the near future the best thing you can do for him is keep him out of additional trouble during the investigation and whatever it might reveal.

I'm sorry to hear about what happened. It seems your brother-in-law unfortunately has a propensity for trouble. If you're saying that your brother-in-law was driving without a license, I wouldn't expect him to see it coming back any time soon and don't know enough to comment. I can point you to the Texas Vehicle and Traffic Code which covers Drivers Licenses.

Thank you both so much for your help and for pointing us in the right direction! I hope to sit down with him soon and lay it all out on the table so that we can work through this.

My brother-in-law has multiple offenses (drug, theft, etc..), has served prison time and owes somewhere around $5,000-$8,000 in tickets. He caused a wreck yesterday which nearly caused a fatality. We are not sure yet what the outcome will be, but he was released with no tickets.

What steps need to be taken to get his drivers license back? I do not know exactly what offenses caused him to lose his license, probably a DUI. I'm sure that I'm probably not giving enough information either, but I have no idea what this kind of stuff involves.

Thank you so much for any guidance.

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

You're kidding about getting his license back right? He has unpaid tickets and he caused an accident that nearly caused a fatality. I think he has bigger issues than his driver's license right now.

Back