Shoplifting, Larceny, Robbery, Theft Caught Shoplifting, no police

Status
Not open for further replies.

guestpost

I was caught shoplifting from a big retailer. The LP caught me as I was leaving and took me upstairs. They took my ID and phone number. No cops were called. They also asked me to sign something that stated I was caught shoplifting. They took pictures of the merchandise as well, all of which totaled about $16. I fully cooperated with everything they said. My question is, should I expect a fine of any sort? Should I be worried about any criminal charges/will this be put on my permanent record? I asked the LP officer and he assured me this would remain internal, within their LP system. But is there any chance I could be arrested? I deeply regret my actions, as they were pretty stupid. Would it be a bad idea to contact their LP office and inquire as to what would happen next? Any help would be appreciated!!

You will likely receive a letter in the mail requesting that you pay a few hundred dollars as a penalty. If you pay then you will avoid any criminal action.
If you don't pay then the company can still make a criminal complaint later. No telling if they will pursue it or not.
You won't be arrested. If any action is taken it will be sorted out without you ever going to jail.

Would this be put on any records that could affect current/future employment? I go to university and receive financial aid, etc, would this affect that?

I figured I will mostly likely receive some sort of fine. Is it likely they'd take it farther than that/involve the police in the future? Would this, at this point, be put on a permanent record or affect any current/future employment? I go to university and receive financial aid so I was wondering if this could affect that in any way. Any help is appreciated, thanks!

There is no way to predict whether the store would pursue anything if you failed to pay. There could be a variety of outcomes.
If you do pay the fine it will be the end of it and there is no record for you to be worried about.

Would it be unwise to contact the LP office and inquire as to what they're planning on doing? I would just feel better knowing, or would you advise against that and just wait?

Would it be unwise to contact the LP office and inquire as to what they're planning on doing? I would just feel better knowing, or would you advise against that and just wait?

This is simple.

They will send you a letter. The letter will tell you what they demand you pay. It might be about $300 to $500.

You pay it, nothing more is usually said.

Until you get the letter, be smart, do nothing.

You got away with it, this time, so chill.

Is it likely that the LP office would file charges against me? They said it would remain internal but that could change. Also, how long do these civil demands take to be sent?

You should receive it within a month.
If you pay they won't pursue criminal charges.
If you don't pay they MIGHT pursue charges.
Ask a local attorney for advice once you receive the letter.

I received a call from my county's superior court but missed it since I was in class and my phone was on silent. Do I call back and ask what it was about? How likely is it that charges were filed against me for this incident, despite the LP officer saying it would remain internal?

Do courts normally call to summon you to court? My Id had my address on it, but I don't live at home. Or do they normally mail these things out?

Mail I would think based on people I have talked to but that's no guarantee. If court is calling you then you likely have a pending court date

Do you have any further advice for this situation? Should I please guilty/not guilty, seeing as I had already signed papers saying I attempted to shoplift. I don't want this to be on my record, is there any way to avoid that?

Last edited:
What's a likely outcome to having a lawyer? I can't afford one as I'm going thru school right now, would a public defender be an option?

Also, I've read about ACD's and diversions. Are these likely options for me? How do I go about getting these? Thank you for your input.

You would not receive a summons to court by telephone. It may be related to your incident, but does not mean a criminal complaint was made. You can return the call to find out who called and why, just make sure you are the only one asking the questions. Don't discuss details of the incident with anyone.

If you can't afford a lawyer, ask the court to appoint you one. Yes, those are options that can be asked for. Once you get a lawyer, he/she will discuss everything with you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back