Shoplifting, Larceny, Robbery, Theft caught shoplifting in VA at a discount store

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know that sometimes it is discouraging, but keep trying. You will get through this!!! This does not last forever. Keep calling lawyers. Keep asking your family....it is hard but the more help you get the better. You are a good person and this will not hold you back.

The mid January court date is your first court date right? If so, it is your arraignment where they will formally read you your charges. Then they will ask what you want to do, get private counsel, see if you qualify for PD or waive your right to representation. They will then set another court date.

The LP may or may not show up. Remember, you have the right to see the evidence that the commonwealth is going to present against you. Essentially, they are required to show you what makes up your case. Keep calling lawyers.

for those who are interested, i wanted to give y'all a quick update before i head out of town for the holidays.

as of this morning i have a lawyer. many thanks to norman jr for helping out with that. while the lawyer is actually out of town right now, his assistant has me down in the books to meet with him before my court date and they also have a $100 check from me to act as the "retainer"...in case anyone is wondering, this particular lawyer allows clients to make payments (according to the community service lady hes known around town as the one to go to if you don't qualify for a PD but cant afford other lawyers).

as for the case, nothing much is happening yet...i finished the NASP program and mailed back the answer sheet yesterday and i am still volunteering at the local food bank (i should have around 50+ hours before i go to court, if not more), I'll also be volunteering (since it's not considered community service quite yet) at the soup kitchen as well, starting in January.

i will post if i have any more questions and as long as i don't get jail time, ill post a big/final update after i get done at court in January. i do want to thank everyone tho for all of their helpful advice even when i asked some dumb questions.

if there's one piece of advice i felt i should leave for anyone in a situation like mine.....GET A LAWYER NO MATTER WHAT!!!

Glad you found the help you came here for. If its not too much to ask can you post in our new "Testimonial" section. Also send me a PM as I have an off topic matter to talk to you about

admin, i sent you a pm and i'll post my story in the testimonial section sometime tomorrow (just checking email right now).

Just thought I'd let people know that my court date has come. I go in this afternoon to "face the music." I do have a lawyer now (I can't believe I was stupid enough to think I could do this on my own). While I do deserve any punishment I get, I just hope that the judge sees that I am remorseful over what I've done....Since the offense occurred I have: volunteered almost 100 hours (and will continue to do so whether court ordered or not), seen a counselor, completed the NASP program (which I HIGHLY recommend by the way), and most importantly, I have stopped shoplifting.

I'm being serious, but I WILL post a testimonial after court....as long as I don't receive jail time (my lawyer said I wouldn't but you never know what's going to happen...If things don't go "well" at court this afternoon, I just want to say thank you to everyone that's given me advice, especially norman. It has meant alot to me.

One other piece of advice to other shoplifters or anyone who thinks about possibly shoplifting...DON'T. It is so not worth it.

And if you want to see first hand how your actions affect others, go volunteer at a food bank. I found out that the store I shoplifted from donates a tremendous amount of food....and the amount that they donate goes up and down depending on their profits and shrink (amount of goods STOLEN, lost, damaged, etc.) for the week. Not only do your actions affect you, they affect the store, and they affect other people not even associated with you or the store.....who knows, in a sense, you could pretty much be stealing from your next door neighbor....I don't mean to scare anybody but I just want to share what I've learned over the past 2 months.

Thank-you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back