Shoplifting, Larceny, Robbery, Theft Caught Shoplifting in NY, help?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eedgar5

Yesterday my roommate and I were caught shoplifting in a store. We each had our own things in our bags but were charged with the same thing, about $85 worth of makeup and $5 worth of 5 hour energy.. petit larceny. We were taken into the store office where made us empty our bags, totaled the items, took our information, and had us taken to the local police station. We were both arrested and charged with petit larceny and have court very soon. We're not sure why we did this because we both had money, but it happened AND IT WON'T HAPPEN AGAIN! I am very scared because we are both on scholarships at our college and don't want to be dropped from the school! Neither of us are telling our parents and can't afford a lawyer because we are students and won't be appointed one because we are "still financially dependent on our parents."
What should I say in court to get the least charge?
What do you think the outcome with the court will be?
And do you think this will stay on our record forever?

Just beacuse you cannot afford an Attorney does not mean you cannot speak to one or still have one. Here is my suggestion

. Start calling Lawyers many offer free consutlations get as many as you can. Ask questions! ask if your county has a ACD or Diversion program you can seek in plea deal
. At court request Public Defender (unless you hire your own Attorney) take what you learned to PD and arrang eplea deal. Notice many PD's will have a deal set up before they even meet with you. If it snot what you seek tell PD what you want and send him back to DA
. Enroll in an Anti shoplifting course like offered by NASP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back