Shoplifting, Larceny, Robbery, Theft Caught shoplifting in AZ, not charged

irt167

Jurisdiction
Arizona
Posting this here because police were never involved and iwas never charged but idk where else to put it.

I live in arizona and was caught walking out with a beer by an lp, they took me into the office and had me sign some things and due to the price of the item which was under 5 dollars they gave me a 24 hour trespass and let me go. No police were involved at any point of this. They gave me a paper with a number to call and it said i would receive a letter within 2 weeks. i assume this is a compensation demand but would they take the time and effort to go to court over something so small? or should i pay it just to be safe?

We have no way of predicting the actions of some unknown person or entity or opining intelligently about whether you should pay a demand that hasn't yet been made and might never be made.

We have no way of predicting the actions of some unknown person or entity or opining intelligently about whether you should pay a demand that hasn't yet been made and might never be made.

Im inclined to believe it since --------- apparently has a law firm which sends out lots of these letters a day and im pretty sure they've already sent my information to them,.

Last edited by a moderator:
It is incredibly unlikely anyone would ever pursue further action.
If you are the type of person who fears being struck by lightning on a sunny day then you might pay their demand if it will bring you peace.
Otherwise, keep your money and stop stealing.

It is incredibly unlikely anyone would ever pursue further action.
If you are the type of person who fears being struck by lightning on a sunny day then you might pay their demand if it will bring you peace.
Otherwise, keep your money and stop stealing.

i suppose ill have to look at how much they demand then decide, but with my double edged sword kind of luck you never know lol.

Im inclined to believe it since walmart apparently has a law firm in Florida which sends out millions of these letters a day and im pretty sure they've already sent my information to them,.

That letter is simply a DEMAND (actually a REQUEST masquerading as a DEMAND) for you to pay the law firm MONEY.

You can ignore it, as the letter has the same impact as if I sent you a letter BEGGINg for you to send me $500.

I do suggest you stay out of THAT store for at least TWO years, unless you were told to stay away longer.

If the REAL police weren't called, NOTHING more will come of this, unless you choose to visit THAT store before two years has elapsed.

Identifying the merchant by name was not smart. If you can still edit that post, I suggest you do so. If not, see if you can get one of the moderators to do it.

Identifying the merchant by name was not smart. If you can still edit that post, I suggest you do so. If not, see if you can get one of the moderators to do it.

nope, it looks like whoever set this forum up in all their wisdom decided not to include a permanent edit button.

I am a Retail Theft consultant and answer questions like yours daily. The letter is called civil Demand and its law in all 50 states the UK and more. It serves a purpose and "can" carry serious long term consequences. The choice to pay is yours however before you choose to ignore the letter/letters read and watch the below.

Civil Recovery

BEFORE you decide you should know the possible outcomes.

Back