Criminal Trials, Hearings Caught Shoplifting at Kohls.

Status
Not open for further replies.

KStevensMac

Me and my sister got caught shoplifting at Kohls last week. We were brought in the back office where they recoded all the merchandise taken into their computer and then a deputy came down and asked us a few questions, and took the report and security footage from the Kohl's security people. Then the deputy released us to our parents. He said we would recover a court date in the mail and a fine. I turn 18 next week. Could I be trialled as an adult? How long on average does it take to receive the court date? Am I on probation? For how long, if yes? Who can I call for more information? The deputy office? Am I allowed out of the state? What is the process of court?

Me and my sister got caught shoplifting at Kohls last week. We were brought in the back office where they recoded all the merchandise taken into their computer and then a deputy came down and asked us a few questions, and took the report and security footage from the Kohl's security people. Then the deputy released us to our parents. He said we would recover a court date in the mail and a fine. I turn 18 next week. Could I be trialled as an adult? How long on average does it take to receive the court date? Am I on probation? For how long, if yes? Who can I call for more information? The deputy office? Am I allowed out of the state? What is the process of court?

You are innocent UNTIL proven guilty.

So, you wait.

When you receive the papers, you'll be instructed what to do and when to do it.

Read it and do as instructed.

No matter what court YOU are told to attend, appear on time, wear business attire, be well groomed, be polite, wait until you are called, address the judge as YOUR HONOR, SIR, or MADAM; plead not guilty, make no statements, ASK FOR A LAWYER TO BE APPOINTED TO REPRESENT YOU, (or hire your own in advance), and speak about this ONLY with your lawyer. Loose lips, sink ships.

If you do as I advised, this will end up being a bad dream, and NOT A RECURRING NIGHTMARE!

Stay out of additional trouble, until this is over, and if you're very clever, you'll stay out of trouble the rest of your life!!!!!!

Whether or not you are tried as an adult varies with jurisdiction and also depends on your criminal history.
It sounds as if you have a clean record, so I would expect this petty offense to be handled by the juvenile court.
You will not get jail time. You will most likely be ordered to pay some fines and do some community service hours. You will likely get 6-12 months probation, but that does not begin until the judge orders it.
You will know your court date within a few weeks. Show up, plead not guilty, and request an attorney be appointed to represent you. Your attorney can explain the process to you.
Yes, you may leave the state. There are no restrictions on you unless/until the court orders them, and a restriction from leaving the state is very unlikely for a matter like this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back