Shoplifting, Larceny, Robbery, Theft caught shoplifting 1 item worth 13 dollars

I

ikla

Jurisdiction
Massachusetts
Got caught taking 13 dollar item at supermarket. i didnt sign waver or give any information, i tried to leave after i was taken to back office. security guard wouldnt let me go and police were called. i didnt give them my info and they put me in cuffs and arrested me. i posted bail and was given a court date for tuesday. What are my options? should i plead not guilty? should i even show up to court for a 13 dollar item? first time offender.

You want a Failure to Appear on your record as well as theft?

Did you eat a bowl of stupid for breakfast?

I am a Retail Theft Consultant and answer questions like yours daily. Had you complied from start they would have likely not called police. However you did and here we are. You go to court plead NOT guilty and either hire an Attorney or request public defender. Once you meet this lawyer ask what your options are be sure to ask about ACD or Diversion to protect your record. also expect a letter of "Civil Demand" from the stores Law firm pay this to avoid further consequences see links and video below

A recent writing of mine - Parent Nook Forums

Civil Recovery

Yes, go to court. Plead not guilty and ask for counsel.
Expect this to be handled quickly. Some jurisdictions will reduce this to the level of a citation, same as a traffic ticket. Pay your fine and be done with it... No criminal record. This is small potatoes and they won't waste much time with you.

You might not get a demand letter since you didn't give any information, but if you do don't be in a rush to pay it. Take your letter to a local attorney and seek advice. Paying their demand is optional. If you have already been through court and paid a fine then they will never get a dime of their demand (unless the court ordered it).

Back