Carpet replacement

Tyty1032

Jurisdiction
Nebraska
My grandmother has lived in her home for over 25 years and has only had her carpet replaced once. Well she is under new management now and they refuse to change her carpet even though it hasn't been replaced in over 15 years. They just keep putting carpet strips over the areas were the carpet has lifted and the molded padding is showing. We have tried cleaning the carpets as they said multiple time and gotten them cleaned multiple times by professionals but to no avail. Nothing is working and they won't help us. We tried to negotiate that if they just install we purchase the padding and actual carpet but still they will not. From my understanding her carpet is a health hazard. There are nails sticking up fromsome parts and the carpet is just not sanitary anymore. She cannot afford to get it installed and purchase the stuff for the carpet. I feel as if we really shouldn't do either one as it is not our responsibility.

She's free to move to a more suitable place though I am sure you will tell me why she can't.

If she can't, or won't, move then she really has no leverage.

I feel as if we really shouldn't do either one as it is not our responsibility.

Do you live with your grandmother?

You also answered your own question.

Your grandmother offered to pay for and have the NEW carpet installed.

The owner or manager of her complex replied, NO thanks.

If your grandmother is dissatisfied with her carpet, she has three choices.

She can move when her lease ends, she can take the matter before a court and have a judge decide, or she can live with the answers she received.

It seems most places these days do free installation, so if she is willing to purchase the carpet and padding then the expenses are already covered. Shop around.

No, this should not be her responsibility if it is reasonable wear and tear over the years, but if the landlord won't do it and she doesn't want to move out, then her options are limited.

You didn't ask a question, so I'm unsure what the point of your post is.

My grandmother has lived in her home for over 25 years and has only had her carpet replaced once. Well she is under new management now and they refuse to change her carpet even though it hasn't been replaced in over 15 years.

She is under new management? I assume that what you meant to write is that your grandmother lives in an apartment and that the the apartment is under new management. Right?

From my understanding her carpet is a health hazard. There are nails sticking up fromsome parts

That sort of thing doesn't happen just because carpet is old. Therefore, we have to assume it's been like that for the 15 years that it's been there. Has anyone been hurt by this?

As for the rest of this, unless the condition of the carpet renders the premises unhabitable, the landlord has no obligation to replace it. If your grandmother doesn't like it, she's free to move.

The state of Nebraska has told them to fix it and she lives in a house not apartment. I do not live with her. And it has GOTTEN LIKE this over the years.

The state of Nebraska has told them to fix it and she lives in a house not apartment. I do not live with her. And it has GOTTEN LIKE this over the years.

If a state agency directed the landlord to replace the carpet, and the landlord ignored the state's directive, she should report the landlord's inaction to the state agency.

She should also ask the agency to have the landlord comply.

I suspect if what you have said is accurate, the state agency doesn't know what hasn't transpired.

Back