Breaking a Lease Caregiver quits wants my Mom to pay 3 months rent to break lease

Status
Not open for further replies.

inthelight

My Mom and her Caregiver rented a home together and after just one Month of being her Caregiver she gave my Mom a signed and notorized notice that as of October 31st she will no longer be her caregiver and only wants to be her roommate. She said its because my Mom is difficult but in reality she got a 2nd job and doesn't have time to care for her. The Caregiver has two Daughters ages 18 and 19 living there and expects my Mom to now pay half of the rent and half of all Utilities even though she is only one of four adults in the household. The only reason I moved my Mom in there was because she was a friend of mine and she promised to be her caregiver otherwise I would have put her in an Assisted Living Facility. I spoke to the Landlord and he vividly remembers the Caregiver explaining to him that she was going to live there and take care of my Mom so he has verbally agreed to let my Mom out of the lease and to allow the former Caregiver to get a new roommate since it is a large house and she wans to stay with her adult daughters. The only problem I am having is the Former Caregiver is demading that my Mom pay 3 months rent and not get her half of the security deposit back until the lease is over whether that be in 1 year or 10 years which I feel given the circumstances is not fair. I personally paid $257 to get the water turned on and used my credit to get the Verizon Fios services turned on to save her from paying a $300 deposit and gave her several hundred dollars to pay for her personal expenses prior to moving in because up until recently she was a friend of mine. I have since found out that she has a reputation at our Church for using people and then moving on to the next person. I also just found out that she was fired for verbally abusing a patient at an Assisted Living Facility. Given the circumstances does my Mom have the legal right to terminate the lease without a penalty? She is willing to lose the Security deposit but three months rent seems very unreasonable to me.

My Mom and her Caregiver rented a home together and after just one Month of being her Caregiver she gave my Mom a signed and notorized notice that as of October 31st she will no longer be her caregiver and only wants to be her roommate. She said its because my Mom is difficult but in reality she got a 2nd job and doesn't have time to care for her. The Caregiver has two Daughters ages 18 and 19 living there and expects my Mom to now pay half of the rent and half of all Utilities even though she is only one of four adults in the household. The only reason I moved my Mom in there was because she was a friend of mine and she promised to be her caregiver otherwise I would have put her in an Assisted Living Facility. I spoke to the Landlord and he vividly remembers the Caregiver explaining to him that she was going to live there and take care of my Mom so he has verbally agreed to let my Mom out of the lease and to allow the former Caregiver to get a new roommate since it is a large house and she wans to stay with her adult daughters. The only problem I am having is the Former Caregiver is demading that my Mom pay 3 months rent and not get her half of the security deposit back until the lease is over whether that be in 1 year or 10 years which I feel given the circumstances is not fair. I personally paid $257 to get the water turned on and used my credit to get the Verizon Fios services turned on to save her from paying a $300 deposit and gave her several hundred dollars to pay for her personal expenses prior to moving in because up until recently she was a friend of mine. I have since found out that she has a reputation at our Church for using people and then moving on to the next person. I also just found out that she was fired for verbally abusing a patient at an Assisted Living Facility. Given the circumstances does my Mom have the legal right to terminate the lease without a penalty? She is willing to lose the Security deposit but three months rent seems very unreasonable to me.

Don't allow your mom to be on the financial hook (and potentially risk her health) by becoming a roommate to anyone.

Trust me, she'll be better off in an assisted living facility, and things will be much more stable.

Plus, mom will be better cared for by living in a professional facility instead of a house full of moochers.

Go get mom and place her in a facility you trust.

Don't worry about any alleged penalties, worry about mom being safe.

That pack of thieves will have to sue mom to get a dime, and even if they do, they won't get anything but a judgment.

Save mom, forget about money that may have been wasted, get her in a safe place, not a den of hyenas and jackals who will pick her clean!

Last edited:
Agree with AJ - get Mom in an assisted living facility where she will get care. You can always visit her at any time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back