Car was unlawfully towed - no signs posted, how do I fight this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DesDemona1134

I parked my car on the street outside of my apartments where it is perfectly legal to park. There were no signs posted when I parked there saying I couldn't. There were also a TON of other cars parked along this street as well so obviously they saw no signs. When I woke up the next day and went to go to my car, it had been towed. The police said that there were signs posted about a house being moved. I told her there were no signs posted when I parked there and asked her if she thought it was strange that so many cars had been towed from that area. I wanted to know why so many people would have parked there if there were tow away signs posted. She admitted it was strange, but had no information for me except to call the Traffic Enforcement office. I called them where I spoke to a VERY rude man who kept saying there were signs posted and would not listen to me or advise me even when I asked how I could file a complaint. He basically told me there was nothing I could do. All this time I had called the towing company who said nobody was available at the impound lot to let me get my car out. They said the guy would be back in 20 minutes. It's been 3 hours and I've called several times. All she can tell me is that he's supposed to be back and he isn't back yet. I'm very suspicious about this whole operation.

Also the towing company is charging several fees. A Towing fee, a "gate opening" fee, and a paperwork fee. Are all of these fees legal? What's a gate fee? I feel like I have been wrongfully towed and there are at least 10 witnesses that live along the street that said they never saw any signs posted, not to mention all the people who got their cars towed. Not one person has said they saw any signs.

What can I do?? Nobody is able to "tell me anything" and there doesn't seem to be any legal recourse, but it seems like there should be something I could do to make this right. I don't have extra money to be shelling out for this. Is this some kind of scam they are pulling? The police did verify that a house had been moved... but what about the signs? They said they were posted Friday, and my car was towed on Sunday morning. I parked there at 3am on Sunday and there were no signs there when I parked. By 11am my car was gone. Please advise!!!

Sue the bad people in small claims court for the return of whatever money you have to give them to get your car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back