Car Sold and Dealer Never Followed Through

ualflyer76

Jurisdiction
Rhode Island
So I am very curious. I was informed by my finance company that my contract was cancelled because after 6 months of going after the dealer for information,etc, they never provided it. The dealer has since closed up and gone out of business as they were I guess basically a fly by night operation. So now, 8 months after purchasing the car, I guess the dealer received a letter telling him that he had to write a check for the full amount of the car back to the finance company. So, now all of a sudden he has gotten in touch with me tell me that this was my fault and that it has to be fixed because he can't pay that and on and on. I actually am in possession of the title to the car with no lien holder on it at all just a title with my name and the name of the other person that purchased the car with me. He now wants me to redo the entire loan and sign etc. Do I have any recourse since I have the title basically showing clear ownership by myself?? Please help...

Do I have any recourse since I have the title basically showing clear ownership by myself??

You own the car outright.

You don't need to do anything that you wish not to do.

His problem with the finance company does not involve you.

I was informed by my finance company that my contract was cancelled because after 6 months of going after the dealer for information,etc, they never provided it.

First of all, what contract? Second, did you really mean to say that this mystery contract "was cancelled because . . . the dealer. . . never provided" some unknown "information, etc."? Why would a contract be cancelled for that reason? What "information, etc." did the dealer fail to provide, and to whom did the dealer fail to provide it?

I guess the dealer received a letter telling him that he had to write a check for the full amount of the car back to the finance company.

You guess?

Do I have any recourse since I have the title basically showing clear ownership by myself?

Recourse for what? You wrote that the dealer requested that you "redo the entire loan and sign etc." (whatever that means). You're obviously free to say, "no thanks." However, if you clarify what exactly is happening, we might be able to provide some additional information, but it probably would be better to take the relevant paperwork to a local attorney for review and advice.

First of all, what contract? Second, did you really mean to say that this mystery contract "was cancelled because . . . the dealer. . . never provided" some unknown "information, etc."? Why would a contract be cancelled for that reason? What "information, etc." did the dealer fail to provide, and to whom did the dealer fail to provide it?

You guess?

Recourse for what? You wrote that the dealer requested that you "redo the entire loan and sign etc." (whatever that means). You're obviously free to say, "no thanks." However, if you clarify what exactly is happening, we might be able to provide some additional information, but it probably would be better to take the relevant paperwork to a local attorney for review and advice.
Hello

So basically it was that the finance company wanted proof of a clean title or something like that and he never responded and just closed up shop. So it wasn't until July when they stopped taking my monthly payment that I contacted them and was informed they cancelled the loan/contract because of the dealer not cooperating and providing them with what they needed. In the whole interim, I was mailed the title with no lien holder on it or anything and have been released from the finance company of any type of hold. Now they are going after him to pay back the money that they gave him for the car and which is why he now wants me to redo the loan and that's why I wanted to know if I had to since I am in possession of the title and this was all due to his negligence.

if I had to since I am in possession of the title and this was all due to his negligence.

Whatever the reason is that caused the dealer to end up being hounded by the lender, instead of you, enjoy the moment.

The title is in your name alone, according to your recitation of events, free of any legal encumbrances or liens.

Therefore, you own the car.

Discussing the car you own with anyone is useless, pointless, and stupid.

Stop communicating with the guy.

He's a big boy.

His troubles aren't your troubles, and you'd be better served by knowing NOTHING of how or why this may have come about.

All you need to know is that you own the car, legally, and possess the title to prove your assertions.

Merry Christmas in August.

You might want to consult with an attorney. Yes technically you have the car and a free and clear title, but that title was issued free and clear to you in error. You know that you have not paid for that entire car. If you choose to do nothing and call it Merry Christmas to you, please take my advice on this very seriously DO NOT SELL THAT CAR. There will be a day of reckoning.

Back