Car Sales Private Owner

TRCB

Jurisdiction
Texas
I recently sold a truck almost a year ago. The purchaser was going to get the title changed over, most obliviously he did not. I received the renewal registration with my name on it as the owner. The title was signed over to the purchaser, with a bill of sale, that he would take care of the title.
The number I had been texting him with is no longer his working number. Someone else owns the phone.
I do know where he works at and have called 4 days in a row and left a message for him to call me back. He has never called me back.
What are my rights with the vehicle and how to I get this issue resolved. Do I report the vehicle as stolen?
It would be nice if he would call me back and just transfer the title over and be done with the issue
I would like to show up at his work and speak to him, he has worked there for over 15 years.
Please help me get this resolved.
Do I have to get a new title and cease the vehicle?
Where do I start first?

I recently sold a truck almost a year ago.

I'm not sure I'd agree that "almost a year ago" is "recently," but whatever.

When you sold the truck, did you and the buyer sign a contract of sale? Did you, within 30 days after the sale, submit a vehicle transfer notification to the DMV?

What are my rights with the vehicle

Your post does not suggest you have any.

how to I get this issue resolved.

If you submitted the vehicle transfer notification in a timely manner, then I'm not sure what the issue is. If you failed to do that, it's probably not possible right now, but the starting point would be to call the DMV and make an inquiry.

Do I report the vehicle as stolen?

Why on Earth would you do that?

Do I have to get a new title and cease the vehicle?

I'm not sure what "cease the vehicle" might mean, but it's certainly possible that you might need to get a replacement title and submit a change of title yourself.

I'm not sure what "cease the vehicle" might mean, but it's certainly possible that you might need to get a replacement title and submit a change of title yourself.
Seize...the OP means seize.

And, no, seizing the vehicle is NOT the appropriate thing to do.

If you failed to report the sale of the vehicle as you were required to do then you are likely on the hook for any past due fees, and you certainly should report the sale immediately to avoid more.
I would avoid contacting the buyer at this point. Just give the information you have to the DMV.
It certainly is not stolen and you have no right to take the vehicle back unless you have a lien on it and do it in a lawful manner.

Back