Car repaired without providing estimate or price

dodecahedron

Jurisdiction
New York
I had a car break down while driving upstate. I was towed to a local garage and the mechanic in the wilderness. I'm aware of the home field advantage that goes on here and I'm preparing myself for a problem with these automotive repair shops. They told me they would give me an estimate on the repair, which ended up being a transmission problem. Instead of telling me the amount, they gave me an estimate of what it could cost before the diagnosis and then went ahead and repaired the problem without telling me the actual cost. Of course, it's at the very top of the estimate. Point is that I didn't authorize them to fix the car at that price, only authorizing them to diagnose the issue.

We need the car by the weekend and they are refusing to release the car without being paid in full. I'm debating my options here, including a recorded phone call which I'm sure they will claim they had authorization to fix the car. I don't see that in their receipt. Have any of you had experience with issues like these? Looking for advice. I think they know small claims here is a waste of my time but perhaps there are other ways I can let them know that scamming me for a few hundred dollars isn't going to be worth their while.

You won't get the car if you don't pay them. You can pay them and sue later if necessary.
Did you ever sign any document? If so, read it carefully.
What did the shop tell you when you claimed you did not authorize the repair?

If you need the car what for?? If you wish to drive it. guess what. Without it being fixed you wouldn't be able to drive it. So pay the bill and be done with it. You got your car fixed and it sounds like it was under the est. they gave you. Now..... If above the est then you would have a good reason not to pay.

Back