Car Purchase Contract Error

rogueseven13

Hi,

I had made a vehicle purchase and set up a financing plan. The dealership (Hertz Car Sales) made a error on the contract in my favor, by entering a different price for the vehicle (about $3,000 less than the tag price). The dealership is now trying to contact me by telling me there was an error, and I need to come back in to sign a new contract. I don't know what to do in this situation, because the salesman also signed the contracts and the DMV forms with the lower price clearly stated on them. Since I'm financing the car, I'm afraid the dealership will not submit the proper forms to the financial institute or the DMV unless I sign the new contract, and I don't want to get screwed over. What should I do? Thank you

Last edited:
If you have a valid contract and you have the vehicle in your possession they cannot force you to re-sign, and they cannot refuse to submit the paperwork to the bank or DMV. Or you can be a nice guy and re-sign.

Hi,

I had made a vehicle purchase and set up a financing plan. The dealership (Hertz Car Sales) made a error on the contract in my favor, by entering a different price for the vehicle (about $3,000 less than the tag price). The dealership is now trying to contact me by telling me there was an error, and I need to come back in to sign a new contract. I don't know what to do in this situation, because the salesman also signed the contracts and the DMV forms with the lower price clearly stated on them. Since I'm financing the car, I'm afraid the dealership will not submit the proper forms to the financial institute or the DMV unless I sign the new contract, and I don't want to get screwed over. What should I do? Thank you

Think of it this way, they made a mistake.
What would you do if the mistake had been for $3,000 more than you had agreed upon?
No one can make you sign anything, at least a car dealer can't make you sign.
I remember an old top kick telling me, as a young butter bar many years ago, "Sir, you can't make anyone do anything. But, you can make them regret what they didn't do."

That's where you stand, OP.
You can choose to sign, or you can choose to ignore.
The dealer could contact the lender with the oversight and maybe the lender will support you and say, no way.
You can negotiate the matter with the dealer, or simply stand pat.
Your choices will dictate their choices.

The purchase contract will require the dealer and you to sign, as will the state required documents.
If either of you choose not to sign, I suppose the deal will be squashed.
I don't think a lawsuit will be cost effective for you.

Whatever you do is up to you, OP.

The contract likely contains terms that require you to assist them in correcting an error. If you are in violation, they will likely hold the contract and repossess the car.

You need to read the contract & see if it does say anything about correcting an error. If so, then things are in their favor.

Think about that.... Anything about them correcting an error? That would effect every car driving off the lot. Oh... sorry We made a mistake that car is 3,000 more. Please come in and lets correct this error. What about the person buying the car.... Drives off the lot Looks over their paperwork. Finds that 3,000 error. Pulls into the dealership to get error corrected. How many times are we told.... Look over what you sign... Sorry but you signed the contract you should have looked it over. This is a moral issue of what is right as well. Will you be able to sleep at night knowing you were dishonest? I think if the contract was signed by both parties it will stick... both will be held to what is written on the contract.

I suggest you read standard car sale contracts. If there is an omission or error, the option is to resign or return the car, paying for mileage if it was brand new. I had the opposite happen. I beat up the dealer, paying about 60% of sticker on a new truck and he lied to me about $100 bank initiation fee with a bank I already used. Since I already had an account with the bank, I called them and asked why I had to pay them a fee to establish our relationship when we already had one. Someone called the dealer and made them rewrite the contract to take out the $100 fee and we had to resign.

Think about that.... Anything about them correcting an error? That would effect every car driving off the lot. Oh... sorry We made a mistake that car is 3,000 more. Please come in and lets correct this error. What about the person buying the car.... Drives off the lot Looks over their paperwork. Finds that 3,000 error. Pulls into the dealership to get error corrected. How many times are we told.... Look over what you sign... Sorry but you signed the contract you should have looked it over. This is a moral issue of what is right as well. Will you be able to sleep at night knowing you were dishonest? I think if the contract was signed by both parties it will stick... both will be held to what is written on the contract.

If there is an omission or error, the option is to resign or return the car, paying for mileage if it was brand new <<<<----- The key statement... Prove it was an error... Based off the SIGNED CONTRACT and dealings with the sales staff every thing was in order. now they wish to change the price??

I am not going to argue with you about someone willing to lie in order to commit theft. We deal with legal issues, not illegal issues.

If there is an omission or error, the option is to resign or return the car, paying for mileage if it was brand new <<<<----- The key statement... Prove it was an error... Based off the SIGNED CONTRACT and dealings with the sales staff every thing was in order. now they wish to change the price??

Back