Car Lease Situation

lowfive1715

Jurisdiction
Colorado
Hello,

I have a bit of a situation. I'm on my ex partner's vehicle lease. I signed on over four years ago while were still together. Now, years later he's delinquent on his payments and the car is possibly going to repoed. Is there any way that I can get my name of the lease outside of refinancing it?

Hello,

I have a bit of a situation. I'm on my ex partner's vehicle lease. I signed on over four years ago while were still together. Now, years later he's delinquent on his payments and the car is possibly going to repoed. Is there any way that I can get my name of the lease outside of refinancing it?

Realistically, no. You agreed to pay if the other party doesn't pay without the condition of you both still being together.

@zddoodah It's a loan, not a lease. My mistake.

@Zigner So my only option is to declare bankruptcy so that the credit union, which holds the loan, cannot come after me financially? Because I honestly rather do that than trying to come up with an additional $780 per month for a vehicle I don't own for a person I don't see or speak to.

Last edited:
@zddoodah It's a loan, not a lease. My mistake.

@Zigner So my only option is to declare bankruptcy so that the credit union which holds the loan cannot come after me financially? Because I honestly rather do that than trying to come up with an additional $780 per month for a vehicle I don't own for a person I don't see or speak to.
I can't speak to the viability of a bankruptcy filing in your specific case. Speak to an attorney.

So my only option is to declare bankruptcy so that the credit union, which holds the loan, cannot come after me financially? Because I honestly rather do that than trying to come up with an additional $780 per month

$780 per month?! What sort of vehicle is this.

How long is the term of the loan? You said it's been over four years, so I'd think the end of the term would be coming soon.

Back