Car Lease Expired Temporary Tags/Registration

Calraven

Jurisdiction
Virginia
Thank you for your time,

I am a Montana State Resident on Active Duty, stationed in Washington D.C. (currently residing in Maryland) and leased a car from the state of Virginia. I leased a car back in May, and the dealership has a lien on the lease (of course, I did not purchase it) so they had to handle the registration and titling. They are registering it in the State of Montana, which they said they could handle.

We went through two sets of temporary tags, and they cannot issue us another set. They constantly give me the "run-around" and my last temp tags expired on 19 August. It is now 2 September, and I am now paying for a car that I cannot legally drive. The Dealership is very apologetic, but nothing has been done. I called the State of Montana DMV and was told they have not received anything from the dealership.

I am at a crossroad, I have car that I cannot drive, but I have a payment coming up and a dealership that has not accomplished anything. What can I do? Is this grounds for termination of a lease? Should they provide a rental or something until this is sorted out? Again, thank you for your time.

The dealership would be filing the paperwork. What exactly do they tell you when you call?
You can contact the state dealer licensing agency and file a complaint.

As an active duty military member, did you ask for MT registration over VA registration?

It's a leased car, so registration shouldn't be an issue.

I've leased a few cars in my life, and as I recall, most had registrations other than my state of residence.

Why not ask the dealership to register the car in VA?

Leasing is the cousin of car rental, registration doesn't matter to the person leasing the car.

Back