car in my name but in someone else's possesion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

shakam

I was with my ex for 10 years. I purchases a car for her in 2002. We broke up in 2010 with the car not being paid off. The car has a balance of $1400 remaining but it was written off on my credit because of my lack of work. She bought me a car last year because of my diificult financial situation. Since our break-up, I have returned the car in her name back to her but she still has the car in my name that she does not want to surrender to me. Ultimately, I am paying car insurance on a vehicle that I do not posess. What kind of options do I have? :mad:

I was with my ex for 10 years. I purchases a car for her in 2002. We broke up in 2010 with the car not being paid off. The car has a balance of $1400 remaining but it was written off on my credit because of my lack of work. She bought me a car last year because of my diificult financial situation. Since our break-up, I have returned the car in her name back to her but she still has the car in my name that she does not want to surrender to me. Ultimately, I am paying car insurance on a vehicle that I do not posess. What kind of options do I have? :mad:

The smart and easy thing to do is sign over ownership to her and cancel the insurance immediately.

It is, after all, a 10 year old car.

It isn't worth the effort or trouble to fight for it.

I understand but the car is not even fully paid off. It was written off so I still have a balance. I dont even have the title which is why I coudlnt sign it over. All I want is for her to pay for the insurance and Ill take the hit and finish paying off the car. What can I do now?

With a simple phone call you can cancel your insurance. Let her get her own coverage. This is not the least bit complex if you have no desire to recover the car.

What? if the car is in his name... and he drops the insurance..... it's his butt on the line.... even if she is driving it..

What? if the car is in his name... and he drops the insurance..... it's his butt on the line.... even if she is driving it..

That would all depend on the circumstances. If he doesn't care about the car he is at no risk canceling the insurance. He can even change the registration to non-operational. If he informs her of this then she has a responsibility to obtain insurance and register the car before putting it on the road. The owner has done his part to take it off the road. Heck, if she crashed it he could probably sue her for the loss.

Im sorry. Maybe I made this confusing. The car is in my name, the insurance is in my name. My ex has had the car for 9 years and we are no longer together. I dont want the car back but he does not want to pay me for the insurance. Should I pick the car up from them or what can I do?

No- you will have problems if you try to take the car back after 9 years.
Simply cancel the insurance policy and let him know you have canceled it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back