Car in accident before financed

Status
Not open for further replies.

NavyFC

Hello, I have an odd situation I was hoping you could shed some light on. I bought my wife a new car. Aout a week ago.The dealership had me sign all the paperwork but, I was not Financed before I left the dealership. They took my old car and told me and my wife to drive off in the new car with all our registartion changed over. I still was not financed yet by the dealership. I did have a preapproved draft by my bank but, I wanted to see if the dealer could get me a better rate and terms. So i did not use the draft. Well 25 minutes after we left the dealership my wife had a car accident she rear ended someone while hitting the gas by accident in the new car and possibly totaled the car. We are waiting on estimates.I had not switched over my insurance yet to the new car but, my insurance company is taking care of things.

My question is the dealer called me today Thursday and said that they could not finance me on the car. They demanded that I use my preapproved draft to pay for my new car that was in the accident. My question is should the dealer have let me and my wife drive off in the new car with out financing the car? Also no bank in their right mind is going to take a loan on a car that is in the shop being fixed or totaled because of an accident. I have a feeling that the dealership is trying to scam me into getting this car and forcing me to try and pay for their mistake.

I understand that I wanted the car and that accidents happen but, I dont want this car anymore and I think they are trying to get out of trouble because they let me drive off with out actually owning the car because no one had finaced me at the time of the accident. Should the dealership be responsible for the error or do I have to buy the car with my bank draft?

Thank you for your time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back