car accident, shady insurance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

michael725

Jurisdiction
California
Hi,

I recently got in a auto accident and when I contacted my insurance company about it they told me that their was a lapse in my coverage on the day of the accident due to my insurance needing to be renewned, so they are refusing to cover it. However, there was no lapse in my coverage, I have paid it every single month and my renewal due date isn't until Feb 17th.

I just don't know what I should do from this point since they are refusing to help me in any way.

Provide proof of payment. If you can show you paid before there was a lapse in coverage that should solve the problem.
Is this a reputable company or doso cheap place you found that offered the lowest possible rate?

Hi,

I recently got in a auto accident and when I contacted my insurance company about it they told me that their was a lapse in my coverage on the day of the accident due to my insurance needing to be renewned, so they are refusing to cover it. However, there was no lapse in my coverage, I have paid it every single month and my renewal due date isn't until Feb 17th.

I just don't know what I should do from this point since they are refusing to help me in any way.

What was the EXACT date and time the collision occurred?

What date and time did you report the collision to your insurer?

When did you make the PREVIOUS insurance payment?

When was the next insurance payment to be paid?

It's progressive. That's the thing, they acknowledged that I paid and there were no late payments. They offered an extension on the renewal date because I called on jan 20th and asked when my renewal date was( it was Jan 28) and they apolgized for not sending me anything in the mail regarding that and gave me an extension until Feb 17th. I did not ask for this. My auto accident was on JAn 31st and they are telling me that my insurance was expired because of the original date. Despite the fact they sent me my insurance card that says it was in effect starting the 29th. When I explained this on the phone that my insurance card says that is effective as of 29th they told me that they send those out early before the actual policy renews.

Yes, it sounds rediculous.

Last edited:
It's progressive. That's the thing, they acknowled that I paid there were no late payments. They offered an extension on the renewal date because I called on jan 20th and asked when my renewal date was( it was Jan 28) and they apolgized for not sending me anything in the mail regarding that and gave me an extension until Feb 17th. I did not ask for this. My auto accident was on JAn 31st and they are telling me that my insurance was expired because of the original date. Despite the fact they sent me my insurance card that says it was in effect starting the 29th. When I explained this on the phone that my insurance card says that is effective as of 29th they told me that they send those out early before the actual policy renews.

Yes, it sounds rediculous.

You've explained the why and the how.

Your only recourse is to appeal via the insurer's internal appeals policy.

You can also file a complaint with your state's insurance agency or commissioner.

I'm GUESSING because the money wasn't in their hands on the date of the collision, that's going to negatively impact you.

when I contacted my insurance company about it they told me that their was a lapse in my coverage. . . . However, there was no lapse in my coverage

I hope you understand that we have know way of resolving this for you.

I don't really follow the explanation in your follow up post, so all I can suggest is that you file a complaint with the California Department of Insurance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back