Car Accident Advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Godwin

Am I responsible for any damage in a 3-car accident? I hit a man who suddenly braked when the woman in front of him braked for a sudden turn, without turn signals. At the scene of the accident it was only my car that was deemed totaled. No one else's car had any damage, and my ticket was only for "following too close." The woman has been calling harassing and threatening to sue me for the so-called damage to her vehicle. Am I responsible for that, or is the man who hit her responsible for that?

Am I responsible for any damage in a 3-car accident? I hit a man who suddenly braked when the woman in front of him braked for a sudden turn, without turn signals. At the scene of the accident it was only my car that was deemed totaled. No one else's car had any damage, and my ticket was only for "following too close." The woman has been calling harassing and threatening to sue me for the so-called damage to her vehicle. Am I responsible for that, or is the man who hit her responsible for that?

You need to hire a lawyer, or discuss this with your insurance company.

Otherwise, you could find yourself in endless court battles.

By the way, the traffic citation has no bearing on who is at fault.

That is decided at a civil trial.

You don't live in a "no fault" state, so you might want to read this.

http://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/car-accident-defenses-contributory-comparative-30148.html

Generally you sue up the chain so anyone with potential liability has been timely named in your lawsuit. Otherwise you risk missing the statute of limitations. You appear to clearly have laibility for damages assessed for your failing to maintain a safe following distance.

Godwin...It may not be your fault entirely, but the sad truth is that its an uphill battle for anyone who hits the rear end of another car. I suggest you lawyer up!

If you have adequate insurance then there is nothing to worry about. Let the insurance companies sort it out.
If you don't have insurance then you still don't have to pay anything until a court orders you to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back