Can’t leave boyfriend

I have a live in boyfriend of almost 3 years. Just my name is on the house. It is my house I own it. I have asked him to leave several times and each time he threatens that he will call DHR and report me in hopes of having my two young boys taken away. So I never follow through. I have been tangled up in the DHR system in the past and it's a nightmare and I never want to go through it again. I know that I can call the police and ask them to help me get him out but I am so scared that he will make that call and they will have to investigate. Is there anything I ca do legally to ensure that he doesn't retaliate by calling DHR? Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can't stop another adult doing much of anything. However, you can mitigate your problem. Fix what you think DHR would have a problem with, and then you don't have to worry about them. Without a warrant, you don't have to let DHR in your house, you don't have to speak with them.

I am supposing you are in Bama, since you reference DHR. Please clear up that mystery by posting your state so state-specific knowledge can be shared.

You are not helpless.
Don't make excuses that allow him to remain and be a problem for you.
You are only stuck with him if you choose to be.

Why are you worried about DHR? If you have not done anything wrong let him call. If there is an issue fix it. In mean time remove the deadbeat by using whatever legal means your state permits like "Notice to Vacate" to start if he does not leave then evict him.

Parent Nook Forums - Index page

Parenting and relationship forum

I have a live in boyfriend of almost 3 years. Just my name is on the house. It is my house I own it. I have asked him to leave several times and each time he threatens that he will call DHR and report me in hopes of having my two young boys taken away. So I never follow through. I have been tangled up in the DHR system in the past and it's a nightmare and I never want to go through it again. I know that I can call the police and ask them to help me get him out but I am so scared that he will make that call and they will have to investigate. Is there anything I ca do legally to ensure that he doesn't retaliate by calling DHR? Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don't let him have control over you. You can't stop him from calling anyone but if you're not doing anything wrong, what's to worry about him calling DHR?

Get him evicted. Look up eviction laws in your state. Get him out. The police won't come and kick him out unless there's an eviction notice. They would be there if you were leaving just to make sure no violence happens.

I was in an abusive marriage/relationship - don't let him bully you. It's a lot better once you're free of that crap.

Back