can't deposit insuance check with husband in prison

Status
Not open for further replies.

HeidiCGR

Simplifying this as best I can...

My house caught fire in July. It is now unlivable until the power and water is restored. My son and I are staying in a motel until we can return home, and my daughter is staying with a friend. All of our expenses are covered by my insurance. But the insurance company (Liberty Mutual) will not issue the checks without my husband's name on them, as he is still listed on the house deed.

He has been in prison since October of 2000, serving a sentence of 9 - 12 years as a sex offender. My bank will not allow me to deposit the insurance checks unless he shows up in person with ID. Obviously, that's not going to happen. He has offered me power of attorney, and I have had the paperwork sent to him. However, I do not know how long it will take him to complete this process at the prison.

My son and I are on SSI. All of both of our payments has gone toward paying the $100/night motel bill, leaving us with $15 in my checking account and a rapidly increasing debt at the motel.

Do I have any options while I wait for him to complete the paperwork? I can't expect the motel to keep letting me run up a bill indefinitely.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back