Can't afford a lawyer

Status
Not open for further replies.

rosesbymidnight

My boyfriend is trying to begin the divorce process from his wife, but we've done some research and it seems the only way we can afford to do this is through mediation. The problem is, she will not agree to any reasonable terms. She wants 3 times the amount that California would require him to pay in child support for their two children, yet he has custody of them 5 days of the week. If he fights her on this, she will simply keep them on his days, as there is no written agreement as of yet, which will require him to pay more and see his children less. We don't have the $5000 to get an attorney and fight for full custody. Is there anything he can do?

My boyfriend is trying to begin the divorce process from his wife, but we've done some research and it seems the only way we can afford to do this is through mediation. The problem is, she will not agree to any reasonable terms. She wants 3 times the amount that California would require him to pay in child support for their two children, yet he has custody of them 5 days of the week. If he fights her on this, she will simply keep them on his days, as there is no written agreement as of yet, which will require him to pay more and see his children less. We don't have the $5000 to get an attorney and fight for full custody. Is there anything he can do?

Please, this isn't a we anything.

It is a he and "his soon to be" ex-wife thing.

You have no legal standing in this matter.

Your BF should hire an attorney and discuss his remedies with the attorney.

He should also stop communicating with his "soon to be" ex-wife.

That only causes more hurt feelings and animosity.

Any communication should be done through the attorneys and the court.

Of course, his "soon to be" ex-wife wants as much as she can get.

You would, too!

That is why you don't agree amongst yourselves.

You use the court system.

She has an attorney, he should, too.

If she doesn't, she's a fool.

He's a fool, if he doesn't have an attorney!!!!!

That $5,000 he doesn't have is gonna seem like chicken feed before this is over.

You should do whatever it takes, legally, to get the money to hire an attorney.

She's going to wise up (if she hasn't already), and your BF is gonna be paying for her attorney, out of the marital assets.

Freedom is never free!

The freedom they BOTH seek has a price.

It is a high price.

Such is the bitter price people pay for divorce in this country.

Last edited:
Dad needs an attorney. He is only required to pay in support what the CA guidelines say. Does mom have an attorney? He needs to file for divorce and get a temporary custody agreemnt. If there is no court orders at all, Dad is free to keep the kids and file for custody. He needs to stop talking to mom and see an attorney.

Divorce question

I am doing my divorce on my own, asking a friend for advice from his Attorney friend. At this point I am stuck because my friend seems to be too busy to get advice for me.
The Petition for Divorce has been filed and my soon to be ex-husband has been officially been served, my waiting period has past he did not respond with an answer. so my friend tells me that it is not as simple as it sounds so I have been waiting on him to help me, but his priorities seemed to have changed and I am no were to the top of that list. I need advise as to what steps need to be taken next.

I did receive a document stating that there will be a Dismissal Hearing on August 05, 2010 at 9:00am, Judge Marilea Lewis of the 330th District Court.

Should I wait for the Dismissal Hearing or take other steps "whiteout money" to have to divorce processed sooner.
(gln)
If you can advise me as to what to do next, I would appreciate very much.
(214)

Greta Pouncey Maiden Name (Neugent)
(gmail)
Thank you in advance of any information that you send to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back