Cancelled purchase of new vehicle order

J

john stevens

Jurisdiction
Missouri
Ordered a new car thru dealer. signed the paper work for all cash deal before the car actually arrived. we had never seen this new model in person or driven it. when it arrived we hated it. never drove it or took delivery. told dealer we didn't want the car. dealer refunded all but $2,500.00 and said that he thought it was fair that I pay that to get out of the deal.

The way I see this, dealer gets a new vehicle for his inventory and I pay him $2,500.00 to do it. How can this be right?

You signed the paperwork after foolishly purchasing a car sight unseen. It's certainly not uncommon to have to pay for changing your mind. What did the paperwork you signed say about cancellations?

Check your paperwork first and see if cancellations is addressed. $2500 seems excessive. Ask them what legal right they think they have to keep that amount or did they just pull a number out of a hat. If what you ordered is a specialty custom order that they normally do not carry in inventory and something they may have difficulty selling, then I can understand them keeping something. However if you can't get them to agree to a smaller amount you can contact the dealer licensing division of your state.

Back