K Visa Canadian seeking advice on dual citizenship and marriage procedures to a US citizen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

WoodsNatasha

I am a Canadian Citizen (Ontario) who is planning to marry my American Boyfriend (Florida). I am currently expecting our first child. Can I get married in Florida and then return back to Canada as my partner and I work on our immigration paperwork? We seek to reside in the US (Florida or Gerogia). What are the best options for us? What is the most cost effective and best shorter time periods? Can our child (who is due in February 2010 and will be born in Canada) have dual citizenship? Can I return back to Canada after we get married in the US, before any paperwork initiates? Will our marriage be binding or recognized in both countries?

Can I get married in Florida and then return back to Canada as my partner and I work on our immigration paperwork?
Yes, but your partner might not be able to accompany you.
We seek to reside in the US (Florida or Gerogia). What are the best options for us? What is the most cost effective and best shorter time periods?
I'm not sure what you're asking.
Can our child (who is due in February 2010 and will be born in Canada) have dual citizenship?
It wouldn't have it, but it might be eligible for it. It would be a Canadian citizen. It might be eligible for US citizenship, based on the father's nationality. I don't know enough about US citizenship laws to speculate.
Can I return back to Canada after we get married in the US, before any paperwork initiates?
I'm not sure what this question means. As a Canadian citizen, you are free to return to Canada at any time.
Will our marriage be binding or recognized in both countries?
Provided it meets the formal requirements of validity for a marriage in both countries, yes. Assuming you're not doing anything too out of the ordinary, yes, your marriage will be valid in both.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back