Naturalization, Citizenship Canadian obtaining dual citizenship

Status
Not open for further replies.

Candachan

I know there are similar threads on this issue, and I have read through them...but I would still like an opinion on my situation.

I am an American citizen because my parents are both American, but I was born in Germany. I am not sure if I still have a dual citizenship or not, but I don't think that really matters. :confused:

I am currently engaged to a Canadian living in Canada, so the only way we see each other is over the summers and holidays, because he is in University. We don't plan on actually getting married for a few years, after he graduates. I am in the process of enlisting in the US Air Force, so when he graduates in 2 or 3 years, I will be in the military...hopefully stationed in the US.

My question is, can he apply for a dual-citizenship through marriage? He insists on being able to keep his Canadian citizenship...I am wondering if he would have to give it up, and if so, could he just apply for it in Canada again and have it as a secondary citizenship? Also, can he live in the States with me before we are married, either through a visa or something? What are the details on that?

I hope you can help. Thank you. Sorry if I was confusing... :)

Let's sort this out:

If you were born in Germany and both parents were only American, you are American, too, but not German (Germany does not have jus soli citizenship). If one of your parents also was a German citizen you might be a German citizen, too, but only under certain circumstances (Germany generally does not allow dual citizenship and makes only few exceptions).

If you marry your Canadian fiance he will remain being Canadian first, but he can apply for an immigrant visa and permanent legal residency, what we mostly call Green Card, based on the marriage to you. He has to live in the United States (with some exceptions for spouses of military personnel deployed overseas) for at least three years before he then can apply for naturalization.

As a naturalized American citizen he can keep his Canadian citizenship and therefore become a dual citizen under the laws of both countries.

If he wants to live in the US before you two are married he cannot do so based on your relationship (except for 3 months right before the wedding). He would have to qualify for another visa like an employment based visa.

Canadian Citezenship Is Secure

My parents are both Canadian, they have lived in the United States since the Early 1960's and have maintained dual citezenship ever since. The only reason my mother was naturalized as an American, was due to her profession. My dad on the other hand is still to this day 100% Canadian and American. I was in the United States Air Force, Good Luck at Lackland AFB.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back