K Visa Canadian Fiancee w/ Canadian Felony

Status
Not open for further replies.

clh0290

I am engaged to marry a Canadian citizen in a year, and would desperately love to bring him to the states to meet my family.

The crux of the issue is, he has a Canadian felony for what amounts to intent to distribute pot. He pleaded out, and completed the terms of his punishment (year house arrest, two years probation) as of March of this year.

I know I could apply for a fiancee visa for him, but I'm worried by the chance he would be denied and banned from the states indefinitely. We would at some point in the future (say after he has applied and recieved a Canadian pardon) move here to the states to live (back home for me!), and are concerned about how this record will play into our chances.

Are we better staying out of the US till he has a pardon?

What are the chances he'll be banned?

Are fiancee visas hard to come by under these circumstances?

If we proceed forward, would it behoove us greatly to retain an immigration lawyer?

1) Nobody can tell you chances. Obviously they are not as good as they would be without the incident.

2) When you say "pardon" - what does this mean? Has he been convicted? Since he has been given sentencing and served it out, how can he be pardoned? Please explain.

3) The questions are asked for a reason on all visas that I am aware so one doesn't necessarily guarantee you over another. But there might be different circumstances.

4) I think it might help you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back