K Visa Canadian citizen engaged to American

Status
Not open for further replies.

Israle

Hello,

I am Canadian and am getting married to an American in August 2009. I am a student at a Canadian university but will be moving to New York to live with my finance after we get married. My plan is to either graduate in May 2009 and get a job in New York that would begin in September 2009 or to extend my graduation in order to do an exchange program at a U.S. university from September-December 2009. I have two questions:

First, if I were to get some sort of single purpose visa (such as a student visa for exchange students or a TN visa) to go the U.S. immediately after I get married, could I then apply for a green card? Or, would the fact that I am on a single purpose visa (as opposed to a dual process visa) preclude this?

Alternatively, can I start the application process for a green card now even though I am only getting married in August?

Thank you very much for your help!

You can start the application process for a fiancee visa also known as a K-1 visa. The marriage must take place within 90 days of entry into the United States by the fiancee. You can find some information here - congratulations and best of luck.

Nonimmigrant Visa for a Fiance(e) (K-1)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back