Naturalization, Citizenship Canadian American Dual Citizenship

Status
Not open for further replies.

Redneck_Girl

Good Evening
I'm trying to start the process of getting my dual citizenship. I am a Canadian citizen thinking of moving down to the States. My mother is an American citizen but a permanent resident of Canada. She was born in 56 and moved to Canada in 75. I was born in July of 77. Am I eligible for dual citizenship based on this and what is the process of applying for it? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

What nationality is your father?

Generally, dual citizenship is not something you can apply for. Either you are a dual citizen or you are not.

Your mom can file can file for you…….If she registered you at birth at US embassy……even if she did not…….. you can still become a US citizen….Given I don't know all the details, but it would be for a US green card first and you can file for citizenship after five years. Your mum should contact the US consulate for more details on consular process. Yes, it would be possible for you to have dual citizenship per US law. I don't know if Canadian law accepts dual citizenship. You are fine from the US law side.

Canada is far more likely to recognize our poster as a dual citizen than the US is. Believe me, I am a dual US/Canada citizen by birth (one parent is a citizen of each country) and I have had this conversation with the Canadian consulate and more than one US Immigration officer. The US does not readily grant dual citizenship; they barely recognize it. Rather, they reluctantly acknowledge that other nations recognize it.

I would be far more comfortable about giving her an absolute answer if we knew the nationality of her father.

I have more info for you if you still have questions...........PM me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back