K Visa Canada / USA visa issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

NMA_

I am a Canadian citizen with a L1A visa living and working in Michigan and commuting back to Toronto for work. I am engaged to be married to an American. We will be married shortly. She is pregnant. We plan to have our child in Michigan. I will be applying for my green card soon after I get married. I am trying to understand a few issues:
1) I am presuming our child will automatically be an American citizen. Can anybody tell me if the child will also automatically be a Canadian citizen (I am presuming a registration is required at the nearest Canadian consulate)?
2) We plan to continue to live in America but we will be traveling to Canada often (two or three times a month for a maximum period of a week at a time). What kind of status or visa should my American wife have for Canada? She will not be working while in Canada.
3) Once I apply for a green card will my travel back and forth to America/Canada be restricted until the visa is approved/issued? I need to be in Canada several times a month. I have received conflicting advice on this issue.
4) Does the time I have spent in America on an L1A visa count towards the residency period requirements to apply for American citizenship or does the clock start ticking only after the green card has been issued. Again I have received conflicting advice on this issue.

NMA said:
I am a Canadian citizen with a L1A visa living and working in Michigan and commuting back to Toronto for work. I am engaged to be married to an American. We will be married shortly. She is pregnant. We plan to have our child in Michigan. I will be applying for my green card soon after I get married. I am trying to understand a few issues:
1) I am presuming our child will automatically be an American citizen. Can anybody tell me if the child will also automatically be a Canadian citizen (I am presuming a registration is required at the nearest Canadian consulate)?
2) We plan to continue to live in America but we will be traveling to Canada often (two or three times a month for a maximum period of a week at a time). What kind of status or visa should my American wife have for Canada? She will not be working while in Canada.
3) Once I apply for a green card will my travel back and forth to America/Canada be restricted until the visa is approved/issued? I need to be in Canada several times a month. I have received conflicting advice on this issue.
4) Does the time I have spent in America on an L1A visa count towards the residency period requirements to apply for American citizenship or does the clock start ticking only after the green card has been issued. Again I have received conflicting advice on this issue.

1) If you were born outside of Canada after February 24, 1977 and one of your parents was a Canadian citizen at the time, you are a Canadian citizen. However, you may need to file for retention of your Canadian citizenship before your 28th birthday.

2) Your wife will be an American citizen and I do not believe she needs a VISA, just identification and proof she was born in the US (passport will do just fine.) A great amount of information is available at Canada's official source for immigration and naturalization

3) If you are a Citizen of Canada then that won't change so I don't think you will have a problem there. Coming here, however, is a different story.Did anyone mention a k-3 visa (spouse of a citizen.) What have you been told?

4) My understanding is that the residency period begins as soon as one of your feet touches US soil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back