can you kick you 17 year and 9 month ol child out if the house

Status
Not open for further replies.

lostmom1975

its like this my child has me between a rock and hard spot he thinks he can come and go as he wishes and dont have to obay house rules becasue he is 17 and can leave when he wants and and do what he wants and the cops wont make him come home but he says i have to let him stay because he is not 18 and only in 11 grade i need to know what i can do whith him can i kick him out

Last edited:
its like this my child has me between a rock and hard spot he thinks he can come and go as he wishes and dont have to obay house rules becasue he is 17 and can leave when he wants and and do what he wants and the cops wont make him come home but he says i have to let him stay because he is not 18 and only in 11 grade i need to know what i can do whith him can i kick him out

To clarify what CBG said, when he is 18, he can be extricated from your home.
But, it isn't easy or magical.
You can ask him to leave on his 18th birthday.
If he refuses, you'll have to take court action and evict his disrespectful, little, loser A$$.
That means you'll have to provide him with a letter asking him to leave, voluntarily.
The letter allows him SEVEN more days to misuse you and your home! Nice, huh???
If the time comes and goes (which it usually does), off to court you must go.

He'll be 18 in less than three months, why not hone up on what you must do to evict him?

http://rhol.org/csu/evictions/Michigan/MichiganSteps.htm

Oh, one more thing, if it is TOO cold; evictions are stayed until it warms up in YOUR state, in some jurisdictions!
Check with your local court to see if your county or city applies this handicap!

You can also hire a lawyer to do this for you.

Either way, good luck in getting rid of this ungrateful child!

Every time he leaves home without permission you should first make an effort to go to where he is at and pick him up. If you are unable to locate him then you can contact police and report him as a missing person. If you know where he is then he is not missing. If you don't know where he is then they SHOULD take the report... even though they know he isn't REALLY missing. If you do this EVERY time he runs off the police will get tired of him real quick and will start finding reasons to lock him up or get him on probation.
How close is he to being 18?

As long as he is in the house you can still have some control. He is still your child. Don't give him any money. Don't give him a phone.... don't do anything that makes it easier for him to walk away. He is still dependent on you whether he likes it or not. If he isn't caring for the child responsibly then you might want to look into petitioning for guardianship if that is something you are willing to do. If you are not willing or able to care for the child then report him to social services and let them follow-up and make sure the child is cared for. With the child issue resolved you will find it easiest to boot him out when the time comes.

I don't think there's a 9 month old in the house that she wants to kick out. The teenager is 3 months shy of 18 years.

Oooooooohhhhhhhhh...... well that is different.

In that case just wait a couple months and give him the boot.
Make life in the house as uncomfortable as possible. Take the bedroom door down. Don't put food in the fridge. Don't put toilet paper in the bathroom. He will either get the hint and shape up or he will move out.

Oooooooohhhhhhhhh...... well that is different.

In that case just wait a couple months and give him the boot.
Make life in the house as uncomfortable as possible. Take the bedroom door down. Don't put food in the fridge. Don't put toilet paper in the bathroom. He will either get the hint and shape up or he will move out.

Now, now, Deputy, she has to feed the lad, and provide basic necessities UNTIL he is an adult.

If she chose NOT to feed him and provide basic NECESSITIES, she could find herself in deep "poo-poo" for child neglect.

Your advice about removing the bedroom door, taking away cell phones, television sets, allowances, etc...that was spot on.

But, the law requires parents to provide NECESSITIES for their spawn, even the evil ones!

Last edited:
This opinion and advise is too late for lostmom1975 but for other mothers and fathers out there: Teach your children from day 1 that there are rules and consequences. Set reasonable but firm expectations and equally reasonable and firm punishment for disrespectful behavior or breaking said rules. If they respect you and understand the rules at 7 they'll still respect both at 17 and perhaps there wouldn't be so many jerks in the world today.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back