Personal Bankruptcy Can you file bankruptcy if unemployed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nicole1745

I have been looking for work for 7 months, I live with my boyfriend and he has been supporting me. He also lost his job and was on unemployment before finding a job making half of what he was making. So, we are just barely making it. He is also considering bankruptcy. I have about 15,000 in credit card debt and a 3,000 student loan which isn't delinquent. The only thing I own is a car worth about 4500-5000. Can I file bankruptcy if I'm not employed? Can they take my car from me if I don't pay?

Consult with a Bankruptcy attorney to see what type of BK will be best for you. So you know it in advance, unless your student loans are from 1991, they will not qualify to be part of the bankruptcy...

I agree with presutin, as what I've known student loans (1991 up)are excluded from the bankruptcy. With regards to your car, it maybe a property that can be liquefied into cash to distribute it to creditors. I'm not a lawyer but Ive known a bankruptcy attorney who can give you suggestions and advises in a friendly manner. They are professional in their ways and knows best in dealing with your problem knowing its ups and downs. They will be the one to help you decide on what option of bankruptcy, whether chapter 7 or 13 or whatever it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back