Can they do this????

Status
Not open for further replies.

kyme74

I had purchased a car back in 1996 or so. In 1997 the car was totaled by an uninsured motorist. I took the guy to court and won my case but he quit his job so I couldn't pay the car off. I ended up having to pay- $4,935.65. It took a long time but in March 2006 I finally paid it off. My check was garnished this week for $150.00. When I called to find out who in the world was taking this money out of my check the woman told me the same company I had paid $4,935.65 to, only this time they are after me for $7,966.36. I tore my old documents apart until I found the statements that showed all my payments from around 2000 up til March 2006. I called the court and they told me the company may be garnishing me for interest. Now, when the judgement was entered in 2000 it included the interest that had accrued on the account. And if I was done paying them in 2006 how could they wait two years and then decide they are going to hit me again for another $8,000.00??? Where do you think this money came from? Is this legal? Do I need to hire a lawyer because there is no way I'm going to pay this ridiculous amount of money.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back