Can the school charge me with truancy if I'm 18 and living alone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Disturbedmylove

I'm 18 years old. I'm a Senior in high school. I moved out last April of my parents' home due to many, many problems between my mom and me. I moved back in in November, but then I got kicked out right before I turned 18 in January. Because of that, I had no place to live and I was looking for a place to stay every night, so I wouldn't have to stay in my car or something. I was exhausted from work and workouts with my recruiter (I'm enlisted in the Marine Corps, and ship after I graduate, so no places will lease me a place) every day, so I would be way too tired to wake up for school in morning (I go from 7:45-12:07) and I'd miss school repeatedly. I missed two straight weeks of school at one point. I tried to talk to the staff at school, but no one would listen. I got a letter in the mail for my court date in 2 weeks for truancy. Since I'm 18 and supporting myself, can the school do that? I've been researching that all over the internet for a while, without any clear, defined answers. I saw that the state cannot legally fine me since I am in fact eighteen and an adult, but then I've read that the school can and will fine me. I'm so confused and in desperate need of help, can someone please answer my question?

Thank You

You have other problems to worry about.
Too tired to wake up in the morning and you want to be a Marine? You won't last a week in boot camp with that attitude. That is plain lazy and irresponsible.
You have missed enough school that you likely won't graduate on time. You had better keep the recruiter in the loop with that is going on- and expect him to be pretty annoyed with you.

As for your fine- if you are still attending school then the fine may be applicable. You essentially inherit the same responsibilities your parents had to get you to school every day. On the other hand if you want to be a dropout and stop going altogether then that is totally different, and not even a truancy. I certainly don't recommend dropping out though. If you show up to court, apologize, promise to do better, and get back to school there likely won't be any fine at all. Cut the workouts, put more time into school work, and get on with your life.

I'm 18 years old. I'm a Senior in high school. I moved out last April of my parents' home due to many, many problems between my mom and me. I moved back in in November, but then I got kicked out right before I turned 18 in January. Because of that, I had no place to live and I was looking for a place to stay every night, so I wouldn't have to stay in my car or something. I was exhausted from work and workouts with my recruiter (I'm enlisted in the Marine Corps, and ship after I graduate, so no places will lease me a place) every day, so I would be way too tired to wake up for school in morning (I go from 7:45-12:07) and I'd miss school repeatedly. I missed two straight weeks of school at one point. I tried to talk to the staff at school, but no one would listen. I got a letter in the mail for my court date in 2 weeks for truancy. Since I'm 18 and supporting myself, can the school do that? I've been researching that all over the internet for a while, without any clear, defined answers. I saw that the state cannot legally fine me since I am in fact eighteen and an adult, but then I've read that the school can and will fine me. I'm so confused and in desperate need of help, can someone please answer my question?

Thank You

Some counties in Texas are far more aggressive about pursuing this than others.
In Dallas County (home to the city of Dallas), this isn't treated the same as it would be in a less populated county, like Bell County, home to Ft. hood and Temple.
So, I suggest you do this, OP.
Speak with your recruiter, tell him everything, and ask him to go to court with you.
See if he'll try to smooth things out with the judge, and get you back in school to graduate.
Ask him to speak to your school principal and truant officer, too.
In most cases, the judge will simply lecture the parents, and suspend th efiune, IF the parents agree to get the kid back to attending school regularly.
In the case of 18 year olds, OP, most counties won't even bother pursuing this, they'll simply expel the 18 year old, after attempting to get things back on track.
Speak with your recruiter, see if he'll help, (most will) and either enroll in adult education classes (or get busy getting that GED).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back