Permanent Residency can shopflifting affect my 10year green card renewal

Status
Not open for further replies.

halimatou

I went one day to shop and walked around in the store for too long according to them ...anyway when I got to check out , I had the wrong debit and it hot declined so I asked cashier to hold my stuff so I come back...as I was walking out , I didn't reach the door when I was stop by someone saying I was shoplifting and he pulled out a T-shirt that apparently was tucked away in the cart that I didn't see
They told m that I stayed in the store too long , about an hour and they have been watching m then accused m of wanting to steal the shirt...I told him it was a mistake because I didn't see in the cart and anyway once at door I was gonna put he cart away..they charged m with shoplifting . the judge gave me 24hr of community service
My lawyer told m that once I do community service , the judge is dismissing the case..so i am about to do
it next week

I'm supposed to apply for my 10year green card ...is it gonna affect it anyway ?
Do I have to include the ticket in the application?
Should I put the condition of dissmal in the application

Thank you
Looking forward to tour answer

Last edited by a moderator:
I am a retail theft consultant and answer questions like yours daily. Theft falls under crimes of moral turpitude so the answer is yes. You need to talk to a Lawyer familiar with both criminal law and immigration law. Ask about options like ACD or Diversion that can prevent a conviction on your record. I would also suggest for your protection you remove store name (especially this store) from your post

A diversion ?
After the community service, the judge is dismissing the case and there won't b anything in my record about it

These programs vary so consult a Lawyer but in short yes. A typical background check seeks convictions. A successful Diversion program does NOT generally result in a conviction on your record.

That is still required to be listed on an application for and covered during the interview. It is not going to cause a rejection as it is so minor unless you have other legal issues in addition to that you failed to mention unless you fail to list it or lie about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back