Can officers cover your surveillance

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jonathan Powers

Jurisdiction
Illinois
Earlier this week a postal inspector and 3 cops knocked on my door, I didn't answer and the inspector left a card. They came back today and again I didn't answer. After about 8 minutes of him pounding on our door the cop blocked our ring surveillance doorbell for about a minute or so, and proceeded to mess with our cars. Can They block my surveillance? Nobody here is involved in crime, this doesn't seem right

Can They block my surveillance?

That cow is already out of the barn, because you told us the police officer BLOCKED your "spybell".

Nobody here is involved in crime, this doesn't seem right

You do NOT need to answer your door.
You do NOT need to sign for a certified letter.
You do NOT need to answer your telephone.
You have the RIGHT to remain silent.
You have the right to have an attorney represent your interests.

If the police arrive to serve a search warrant, you won't need to bother answering because they'll let themselves into your home.

This might not be a criminal matter.

The officer may have been trying to serve you with a summons to appear as a witness or defendant in a civil matter.

I suggest you seek the advice of a local attorney or two.

You might also wish to call a bail bondsman and ask if there are any warrants out for your arrest.

That call won't cost you anything but your time.

You should search local court records and even any federal records that involve you or yours:

... https://www.pacer.gov/findcase.html ...

The police and/or inspector might be looking for a friend of yours or a relative.

Even if that is the case, you don't have to answer any questions.

Be careful when you drive your car(s), there's probably a "BOLO" out on them and you.

Blocking the camera on your doorbell isn't illegal and happens all the time when someone is at the door. It is unclear what they did to the cars but if they damaged them in some way you can contact the precinct and file a claim.

after 5 minutes of them knocking and the local cop saying he could hear people talking behind the door( which makes no sense, I have a ring camera, nobody was anywhere near the door) they hit my bedroom window a few times with a flashlight it sounds like and yelled in. The local cop then looked at the ring with a funny look while talking to someone on the side by our garage, put his hand over the ring device for probably a minute, he lifted his hand for a few seconds and you can see the inspector coming from the garage/ bedroom area, he then covers the camera again and when he lifts his hand they go and start looking into my sisters car. You can't really see what they did. I tried to upload the video but it says mov. Isn't supported

Those were coercive acttions as far as I am concerned

What man wouldn't run outside at someone messing with their cars?

Plus I should have the right to record police if they pull me over, they should not be allowed to stop me recording them on my own property

I have the Instagram account naturespeakorganicfarms i'll Post the most controversial part on there it's about a minute and a half

For those who don't know, Ring is a surveillance product and service. A camera may be installed at your door and you can see, from the inside, who is standing there. I don't see how there is any illegality by putting a hand over the camera. Perhaps you're hoping for a loophole objection that a police officer must declare themselves as a police officer. It seems as though they were expecting someone to answer the door since they suspected people were home and tried to use this tactic to get someone to respond in some fashion. Or they may suspect that someone inside might be watching them to take an offensive if they are afraid of being caught.

The police are trying to do their job. The state has the right to empower officers to do so and people often forget this fact, including their authorization to act with special powers (subject to the limits of the Constitution.)

Coerce means the use of force or threats. That doesn't appear to be the case here and they seem to have been asking for communication. As @zddoodah says, you've got contact information and can inquire.

why would they need to cover my camera unless they were doing something illegal? I guess I might've came to the wrong forum

This was all done as a response to me complaining about constant late, lost, and stolen mail

You can delete this thread, I don't need help from people like you guys

Your assumption that they must be doing something illegal to want to cover the camera is not based in either reality nor provide any remedy. Maybe they just don't like being filmed? Or he needed to pick his nose? The law does not prohibit blocking the camera and this wasn't any infringement of any right. If a car was in your driveway, the police may look it over. You can not like the responses but they are legally accurate.

why would they need to cover my camera unless they were doing something illegal?

No one here is competent to speak about the motivations of persons we don't know.

I guess I might've came to the wrong forum

Well...you asked whether something that did happen can happen. The answer to that question will always be yes. If your intent was to ask whether what happened was legal, you go an answer to that question as well. If you want to engage in speculation about why the events you described occurred, then yes, you're in the wrong place. The way to get that answered is to call the person who left you a business card.

You can delete this thread, I don't need help from people like you guys

You really haven't asked for much of anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back